Friday, January 4, 2013

Good Advice: From an Associate for an Associate Minister

Good morning all...it's been a minute since I've written, but I'm working on consistency...so no better day than today to start anew. 

I write this reflection in response to H.B. Charles, Jr.'s blog post on the role of associate ministers in the church.  I remarked after reading this article that it would be nice to hear from someone whose experience in the church is one as an associate minister (for an extended period of time).  Unfortunately, not all pastors have been associates for extended periods, especially if we consider that many began pastoring early in their lives.  So, sometimes it is difficult to take advice from someone who has only spent an abbreviated time as an associate minister.  

Secondly, I write this post having been in conversation with a few associate ministers over the last few days who are constantly thinking about their role in ministry.  These conversations continue to provide much perspective on how I think about my role as an associate (and the many mistakes made during my time).

Having served as an associate minister and pastoral intern since 2006 at six churches, I am constantly thinking about how I can best support our ministerial leadership.  Now, someone is saying, "why has he served at so many churches?" Well, I moved from my initial (licensing) church to attend seminary, and the training model at my institution required that I spend some time in various local church environments.  As well, a few of my friends who are pastoring have asked me to serve in supportive roles for interim periods.  Currently, I am happily serving at Orange Grove Missionary Baptist Church where I've been an associate minister since graduating from seminary.

Now that I've gotten all of that "cleared up," let me offer some insight.

1. An associate minister is not a "regular" congregant/parishoner

A common misstep for new associate ministers is that we don't often realize that something has changed in our own lives (and in the lives of others around us).  We have taken on a new role in the church universal...we have accepted "a call" to preach and teach the Gospel and lead the church.  This means that, even though we aren't necessarily paid staff, we are expected to live into the standard of leadership in the local church body.  Thus, it is important to remember that conversations with others in leadership should be kept confidential (even when they seem trivial).  It is important to remember that even when we don't agree with decisions, we have a responsibility to be very careful about where we share (and whom we share) our opinions.  Unfortunately, many of us learn this important fact too late in our associate ministerial careers.  People may want to know the inner workings of a circle, but sometimes it can come back to haunt you as gossip, even when you aren't intending to be mean-spirited. 

2. There are favorites, and you might not be one of them

It sounds so harsh...but it isn't meant to be.  Unfortunately pastoral leaders have a few people that they feel they can trust with tasks around them, because they too have been burned by relationships.  As such, you might find it difficult to break into your pastor's inner circle.  However, you must know that just because you are an associate minister doesn't mean that you and your pastor are now going to be "besties."  Elevated leadership means that you/I will support our pastor as deemed necessary by both pastoral/diaconal leadership, not be our pastors most closest confidante.  If you need friends, please go get some.  There may be others who a pastor sends to preach, or helps in the leading of worship, or serves in other important roles in the church.  Those people are serving at the discretion and direction of the pastoral leader whose charged with understanding your gifts, and knowing what the church needs to.  No real pastor wants to set his/her ministers up for failure.  However, associates sometimes have a way of pushing their pastor to let them preach or teach or lead a ministry.  Some pastors are guilted into letting ministers lead when they aren't fully ready to take on the tasks they want.  Do you know who people complain to when we deliver poor sermons or offer unsound teaching or make poor decisions over a ministry we aren't ready for?  Yup, you guessed it...the pastor! LOL  What we sometimes perceive as "favorites," are often times relationships, skill, and "time in" manifesting when pastors ask certain associates to lead, preach, and teach.

3. Prepare to lead...by exploring

Even though you may have not been given tons of opportunity to share your gifts, there are quite a few ways you can prepare to lead others.  One of the ways that you can shore up your leadership skills is by being involved with a variety of efforts around the church.  Insight often comes from experience.  If your intent is to be a pastor or an executive leader in the church, you may want to spend time with the various ministries learning the "ins and outs" of music, youth, college, young adult, jail, nursing home, married, singles, ushers, dance, bible study, sunday school, small groups, community outreach, prayer, seasoned saints, etc.  I'm not saying you need to be on every committee...but it could be a good idea for you to sit in as an observer on meetings and practices so that you can understand the difficulties/challenges of that particular ministry.  Unfortunately, many associates only stick to the things they know with the intention of one day impacting all things in the church.  An uninformed perspective on a particular ministry can lead to some unintended consequences when in leadership.  Many pastors have learned this lesson the hard way.

4. Study without being prompted

As an associate, there will be an expectation (whether you've been a minister for a day or for 30 years) that you know everything there is to know.  As an associate, I've been asked by congregants about my study, the meaning of salvation, whether I believe in speaking in tongues, and spiritual warfare, to name a few things.  Some of this stuff...I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.  And in others, my opinions were different from what was being taught in the pulpit.  And some stuff, I just didn't know....which is why I took my butt to seminary.  Many of us have been told to study the Bible as associates...but I would also tell you to pick up books on the following: the history of your denomination, theological perspectives of your denomination/culture, Old and New Testament Commentaries, pastoral counseling books, meditation books, books on sermons/homiletics.  If you are going to be an associate...YOU MUST READ!!!!  There is nothing worse then a person who wants to lead others without being equipped.  Be an avid reader, even if the people leading you aren't. As GI Joe once said, "knowing is half the battle!"  Thus, it is your job to study without being prompted to preach or teach or lead.  One of my friends said her mentor told her to prepare sermons and bible studies knowing that our God would open the door for her to share them.  I concur with that mentor!

5. Develop your ministry...create a path and become familiar with what you do daily

Even though you may not be called to pastor a congregation, God has called you into ministry.  For me, I find that my ministry (for now) is leading worship through music (thus I serve in my church's music ministry), ministering youth/young adults (which is why I work at a college), mentoring (which is why several people call me their mentor and seek my advice/counsel), and preaching/teaching (at the discretion of my pastor).  While it may not all make sense to you (or you may not see it as formal ministry), you must recognize that living out your ministerial call and responsibilities is a progressive work that you were doing before you were licensed or ordained by man.  That internal call to help others and to be an inspiration in a world of darkness is a deep duty of a deep God calling unto deep.  I believe that I am in ministry everyday that I go to my "day job" to make an impact on those around me.  I must be honest in that sometimes I've forgotten this point because ministry doesn't always look like what we see in the walls of the church building.  Thus, we must remember that as associate ministers we are always engaged in ministry...ministry is in our living!

I have more to say, but I think I've given you some places to reflect and grow.  I will be thinking and praying about what is said here too!  

Blessings

-Sean

3 comments:

  1. I have been a deacon for 20 years with many friends who are struggling associate ministers who I have been attempting to encourage. I find your comments informative and on point. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this insightful article on Associate Minister. I am in the process of compiling a small helpful handbook for the Associate Minister. You confirmed slot of my Notes that I already had written down!

    ReplyDelete